Home News Nigeria: 1,279 died from road crashes in Q2 2017

Nigeria: 1,279 died from road crashes in Q2 2017

by Tom Chiahemen
0 comment 2 minutes read

The Nigeria Bureau of Statistics (NBS) has disclosed that a total of 1,279 Nigerians got killed in the road traffic crashes in second quarter of 2017. 

According to the NBS Road Transport Data for Q2 2017, of that number, 1,207 representing 94 per cent were adults while the remaining 72 Nigerians, representing 6 per cent of the figure were children.

Also, 1,022 male Nigerians, representing 80 per cent while 257 female Nigerians representing 20 per cent lost their lives in road crashes in the period under review.


The Q2 2017 road transport data reflected that 2,503 road crashes occurred in Q2 2017.

On the other hand, “A total of 8,270 Nigerians got injured in the road traffic crashes recorded. 7,805 of the 8,270 Nigerians that got injured, representing 94% of the figure, are adults while the remaining 465 Nigerians, representing 6% of the figure are children. 6,217 male Nigerians, representing 75%, got injured in road crashes in Q2 while 2,053 female Nigerians, representing 25%, got injured,” the Statistics Bureau said.

Speed violation accounted for majority of road crashes in Q1 and it accounted for 44.44% of the total road crashes reported. This was closely followed by lloss of control and dangerous driving-both accounted for 12.92 per cent and 8.06 per cent of the total road crashes recorded.

Data on the category of vehicles involved in road crashes in Q2 2017 reflected that 58.59 per cent of vehicles were commercial (2,363), 40.22 per cent private (1,622), 1.14 per cent government (46) and the remaining 2 were diplomat.

FCT Recorded the highest number of road crashes closely followed by Kaduna and Niger States while Borno and Bayelsa States recorded the least road crashes in Q2 2017.

A total of 218,060 national drivers licenses were produced in Q2 2017, with Lagos and FCT topping the highest number of drivers’ licenses while Zamfara and Kebbi States produced the least numbers of national drivers’ license.

Similarly, a total of 110,881 vehicle number plates were produced in Q2 2017.

FCT and Oyo state produced the highest number of vehicle plate numbers while Ogun and Rivers States produced the least numbers of vehicle plate numbers in Q2 2017.

Meanwhile, the report revealed that an estimated vehicle population in Nigeria as at Q2 2017 was 11,506,863 with the total population of the country was 193,392,517 in 2016, indicating a vehicle per population ratio of 0.06.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

About Us

FRONTVIEW AFRICA is a Pan-African online Newspaper and Television with sharp, clear and factual News.

@2024 – All Right Reserved.