fbpx
Home News High-tension electricity spark injures 2 in Calabar as residents call for measures to ensure public safety

High-tension electricity spark injures 2 in Calabar as residents call for measures to ensure public safety

by Nike
0 comment 3 minutes read

Two young men were hospitalized in Calabar after they were injured by an electricity spark from a high-tension pole on Saturday afternoon.

The incident took place at the high-tension electricity pole near 20 White Street in the Calabar South Local Government Area of Cross River State.

One of the victims, Mr. Uzoma Anthony, shared his terrifying experience. “I was inside our shop, attending to a customer when I suddenly heard people screaming and shouting about a high-tension spark. I saw the spark and realized it could be dangerous. I tried to rush out of the shop, but I was shocked by the spark and lost consciousness. I only regained consciousness hours later in the hospital, even though I have sustained very serious injuries”.

Another victim, a 21-year old man, who wished to remain anonymous, expressed his shock and gratitude for surviving the incident.

He said: “I have no words to describe what happened. I was seriously wounded, and the doctors said I had lost a significant amount of blood. If I hadn’t been helped out of that situation, I hate to think what would have happened.”

In the wake of this incident, residents and business owners in Calabar are expressing their concerns about the safety of high-tension electricity poles and calling for stricter regulations to ensure public safety

“It is frightening to see incidents like this happen. We need the authorities to take stricter measures to prevent such accidents. People’s lives are at stake here,” said resident Mrs. Okon.

Mr. Ekong, a business owner, added, “As business owners, we rely on electricity for our livelihoods, but safety should always be a priority. The government should enforce regulations to ensure that these high-tension poles are regularly inspected and maintained.”

Another witness, Egbe Ugochuku, urged local authorities and government officials to take immediate action to address safety concerns.

“The safety and well-being of the residents must be a top priority,” Ugochuku maintained.

He also pointed out that the spark originated from a nearby church, The Apostolic Faith, and spread to their shop through a naked cable, stressing the need for effective monitoring and regulation of the high tension poles by the Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC).

“This incident should serve as a wake-up call and a reminder of the potential dangers posed by high-tension electricity poles. It calls for increased awareness, better maintenance, and stricter regulations to ensure public safety,” Mr. Egbe said.

Investigations into the incident are ongoing, and it is hoped that necessary steps will be taken to prevent similar incidents in the future. The victims and their families depend on swift action to prevent any further harm caused by electrical faults or technical failures.

Efforts to get comment from the Territorial Technical Manager, Engr. Tom, were unsuccessful as he was not present at the time.

At the time of filing this report, the victims of the incident are still receiving treatment at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, UCTH.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

About Us

FRONTVIEW AFRICA is a Pan-African online Newspaper and Television with sharp, clear and factual News.

@2024 – All Right Reserved.