By DAVID IORJA (Abuja) –President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria has spoken to President Nana Akufo-Addo to offer heartfelt condolences to the Government and people of Ghana on the gas explosions in the Legon suburb of Accra on Saturday, October 7, 2017.
Special Adviser to the Nigerian President on Media & Publicity, Femi Adesina, made this known in a statement on Monday.
He said that in a telephone call on Sunday, President Buhari prayed for those who lost loved ones and friends in the tragedy and a speedy recovery for the injured.
The Nigerian leader told his Ghanaian counterpart that his personal thoughts and prayers, as well as that of all Nigerians, are with our Ghanaian brothers and sisters as they mourn their loved ones.
President Buhari further prayed that Ghanaians, who are known for their extraordinary strength and resilience, will overcome this disaster and rise above the losses the country had suffered in recent times from gas-related explosions.
President Akufo-Addo thanked President Buhari for his comforting and kind words.
Two massive explosions rocked Madina Atomic Junction in the Legon suburb of Accra on Saturday evening.
According to reports, a huge ball of fire went up immediately after residents heard a loud sound of explosion in the area.
Deputy Information Minister, Kojo Oppong-Nkrumah, confirmed that some lives had been lost in the explosion.
“Unfortunately we have recorded some deaths,” he told TV3 on Saturday,
Report suggests one of the deceased might have fallen from the overpass.
A Total fuel station affected by the inferno was totally burnt down, just as several other properties were up in flames with many fearing the explosion could be fatal.
Many people were seen running helter-skelter from their homes. Commuters heading towards the area were accordingly advised to be cautious.
Several casualties have been reported as vehicles are seen rushing injured people to hospital.
Officials of the Ghana National Fire Service who rushed to the scene battled frantically to put out the raging fire.
Deputy spokesperson of the Fire Service, Prince Billy Anaglatey was quoted as saying that seven fire engines had been brought out to assist in preventing any further explosion as they “cool” any combustible item around.