Despite recent threats from North Korean, U.S. has reiterated its offer to dialogue with the Asian dictatorship.
“I remain ready to meet my North Korean counterparts at any place, at any time,’’ the U.S. special envoy to North Korea, Sung Kim, said in Seoul on Monday.
Alluding to Pyongyang’s criticism of ongoing military exercises by the U.S. and South Korean forces, Kim told journalists that his country had no hostile intentions.
Among other things, Kim consulted with South Korean nuclear negotiator, Noh Kyu Duk, on further joint action in the dispute about North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme.
Washington’s negotiations with Pyongyang have not progressed since a failed summit between former U.S. president, Donald Trump and North Korean strongman, Kin Jong Un in Vietnam in February 2019.
Sung Kim had last proposed talks without preconditions during a visit to Seoul in June.
So far, however, the largely isolated government in Pyongyang, had rejected the offer.
Observers assume that North Korea was waiting for concrete proposals, such as a possible easing of international sanctions.
Most recently, North Korea threatened the U.S. and South Korea with consequences because of their military exercises.
Washington and Seoul disputed Pyongyang’s regular accusation that the joint maneuvers serve to prepare for an attack.